2020 has been a challenging year for education but with this challenge has also come rapid and sometimes exhilarating change. When the pandemic shut down more than 50% of our "normal" business, it forced us to pivot into offering online robotics workshops instead of our usual in-person courses. For the Fall of 2020, we will be offering Rolling Robots' new After-School Program online as well as in-person at our Glendale, Palos Verdes, and West LA locations.
To meet the new school schedule, we will offer two sessions on weekdays: 2pm to 4pm and 4pm to 6pm. Our after-school program will consist of STEM-based workshops with various rotating topics to make sure your child stays active and engaged while learning with us. We have a variety of learning options available for students ages 5-15 of varying experience levels, including lesson plans such as robot building, coding and other fun topics in engineering.
Every weekday has a different topic for a different age group. Here's the schedule:
- Monday: Junior Robotics - Age 5 - 7 - No experience needed. Explore building and coding skills with robots.
- Tuesday: Intro to Coding - Age 6 - 8 - No experience needed. Learn to code on a computer with robots and electronics.
- Wednesday: Roboteers - Age 8 - 12 - No experience needed. Learn to build and code MicroBits, Lego, and VEX IQ robots.
- Thursday: Team Prep - Age 9 to 12 - For students who are preparing to join the robotics competition team. Learn to code to control the robots.
- Friday: Pro Coders - Age 10 to 15 - For students who are excited about coding projects. Learn to code in the Advanced Scratch program and Python.
In regards to Covid-19 and the precautionary steps Rolling Robots is taking to keep our in-person activities as safe as possible, we will be following the guidance of the Los Angeles County Health Department and only allowing a very limited number of students on-site at Rolling Robots at any given time.
For people who will be attending our on-site activities, here is our operating plan:
- Limit of 6 students per activity (instead of the usual upper limit of 12)
- Workspace set up for 6 feet of social distancing
- Every student will have their temperature taken via no-touch, IR thermometer before entry (must be under 100F)
- Staff will be training students in best practices for preventing the spread of COVID-19
- Mask wearing enforced for both staff and students
- Masks, hand sanitizer, and hand soap are provided for every student
- Surfaces and equipment will be sanitized before and after each session